Wednesday, July 12, 2006

My Nikon S4

(PS: I bought n used it for mths liao. Only now then tok about it. In case i use awhile then got prob mah)

I wanted to change my old Canon Ixus I a long long long time ago. Having so many temptations in e market, i was swayed. They r apparent cheaper. Damn!

My 4 megapix was inadequate. But I also dun wan to crash my com using 8 megapix, u noe i cant really preview pics tts 8 megapix? I haf some photos fr frenz taken using their stylo milo huge cams and often it slows down my processing memory so much when i am doing something to them.

Maybe its jus tt i dun haf enuff ram. Ok, shut up.

After a whole yr of research, i settled on 6 megapix compact cams. 6 is just nice, do read up on mega pix as well. No pt spending more on mega pixs.

I only wan to upgrade my cam for everyday use (*er hem* mainly narcisistic photos). Also, i like to haf spare everything. So having 2 cams is always gd, although i did consider selling away my canon ixus for a cheap price, but i jus couldnt bear it.

E 1st moment i used a Kyocera rotating lens cam yrs back in 2004, i knew i wanted one as well. As much as i am gd at taking self portraits, its always easier on ur nerves to use a rotating cam (*er hem* for narcisistic photos). No lah, easier to take wif frenz also mah, no need to try n try n see ur frenz head cropped off.

My demanding side hates ppl taking my pics, so rotating lens makes it easy for me to take my bg n me when i am out, rather than letting others (especially those who duno how to take pics) take bad photos which resulted deletion from me later on.

And during self timer, i can still see e whole frame mah. Also, e rotating lens can take many angels, i like. Easier to take my son's pic as well, no need to move so much. Jus lower my lens, zoom and snap. Easy as hell!

When i got my progress package money, i knew tt its time. Lol.

Lets not even tok about my rotating requirements. Lets tok about brands.

For me personally, i do not like brands like fujifilm, kyocera, casio, etc. I also do not like their image quality. For e bigger brands, although i haf tis thing for touch screen (as ive always said) and was so tempted to get Sony's touch screen digi cam, i held myself back. I am a cheapo, i wan cams tt hold SD cards, becoz my other gadgets use SD cards as well, i can interchange.

Sony not using SD already way off... Byebye touch screen.

I boycott Canon, coz Canon is not durable AT ALL... The softwares r often unstable as well. So even though Canon Ixus series are the best compact digi ard, i wasnt even aroused.

I was interested in Panasonic cams, them being e second best next to canon for compact cams. Im only toking about compact digi cams, not toking about manual/dslr/slr... As i've said, i was only looking for a everyday use cam. Like i said be4, if u r pro, u shdnt even go digital. E photos lack depth. Ok nuff said.

If Pana offers rotating, i would haf got it. But too bad. Although i do find Pana ex, especially their new cams.

There were limited rotating lens in e market. Even Kyocera didnt come up wif any newer models. Canon did haf a cam wif rotating flip lcd monitor, but then tts very diff. Besides e screen was so small.

So e only choice was NIKON S4.

While Nikon is e leader in cameras, but its still a baby for digi cams. So when i told ppl i wan e Nikon S4, ppl said im crazy. But i wan the rotating lens mah, besides, S4 is e only digi cam tt offers 10X OPTICAL zoom wif rotating lens. I haf e best combi i wanted. Now i duno la, bought my cam liao so i stopped all research, dun wan to heart pain u noe.

Ppl said S series no gd coz e lens is fixed internally or something. But S4 is different, e lens is not fixed but moves inside its own lens barrel. If not how to do optical zoom? I am so happy wif e zoom, so much so tt ive often forgot i got it. Lol. I can take close ups of building wif a lousy digi cam. Digi cams are all lousy to me compared to slr/film cams.




I usually buy very small n light cams. But e main prob wif tt is e pictures often turn out blur. So tis time i decided to get a heavier one. So i haf no prob wif S4's bigger n heavier frame, although my arms do ache. Lol.



It comes wif a lens cap as well, and e lens cap is attached to it. No need to scared lose it. The lid cover u can just flip it to e side and it stays there. Duno y ppl complain about it. Got lens cap still complain, can dun put one mah. Clean ur lens more lor. I like it though, especially e flipping n staying, no hastle at all.


Tis guy mus be huge, e cam looks so small between his fingers.

Due to e big monitor screen, e cam requires a different way of handling. If not u will put finger prints there wif ur thumb. I dun haf prob holding it e way its suppposed to though. Resting my right thumb on its desired place on top is no prob. SZ who most likely will use my cam more than anyone else, holds e cam like e guy in e pic, so wun haf finger prints.

But heck, i pasted protective film on e monitor anyways, so its ok even if u touch it.

E micro is very gd. It received lots of compliments. E cam i mean. E zoom range is gd as well, i often do not need e full zoom, even when i was shooting e Sentosa Merlion's head. I locked my canon's digital zoom, as u noe, who e hell uses e horrible digital zoom.

One feature my cam lacks is e motion/image stabilization which is so popular now although i heard Sony's one no gd. It was something i had to give n take. But e other features n setting makes up for it though. The Best Shot Selector (BSS) solves e blur pics. So i am still happy. E manual settings were better than i expected as well. I like their colors, image quality better than Canon's (my old cam i mean).

The photos on my old cam r alot darker when transfered to e com, which was a major prob, together wif e blur tendancy. But S4 dun haf these probs, so i am happy no matter wat ppl said.

I think e main prob wif e cam is viewing e monitor under sunlight. Its not very clear, but also coz i set e brighter n contrast to very low. But still can see la, not so kua zhang like wat others said. Other countries got sell e LCD shade cover, i really like it, will be perfect. But i also duno go where find here in sg. Also, e monitor cannot be viewed from all angles like some newer cams do, but tts not impt mah.

Regardless of wat ppl say about Nikon S series, all i can say is S4 is different fr its series itself. Its almost separate. E features are different too. I used to pass by Dhoby Ghaut mrt and gaze at the Nikon S4's poster. Its been there for very long. They even removed their other posters and left e S4 there.

I bought it cheaper than e market price. Retail was 699, i bought it at 580. Another reason i was happy for. Haha. Pls dun tell me how much it cost now ok. PC fair was 699 as well except they give u 1 GB card, i had 512 card fr tt shop, so its ok. Its still cheaper. So PC fair's not e best deal always.

My cam uses AA batts as well. I am so happy on tt too. Its so much cheaper than lithium ion batts. I already bought another set of rechargeable AA batts and it last longer as well. 2 AA batts can last up to about 260 shots.

It better to get a cam catered to ur preferences n needs. No pt spending 850 plus bucks getting a cam tt ppl tell u its gd. Confirm u wun really like it one. Digi cams r more or less e same, so it boils down to knowing wat u wan most.

If not for e 6 megapix, 10X optical zoom, rotating lens, hinged lens cap, 2.5 inch screen, AA batts, SD card, under 600 bucks combination, i would haf gotten a Canon Ixus or a Panasonic Lumix. Although tt would burn a hole in my pocket.

And now, i couldnt even ask for more, coz its perfect, FOR ME~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » » »