Saturday, January 21, 2006

My 1st Time !

Wan to hear about it? Wan ? Wan ? Wan ? Wan ? Wan ? Wan ? Wan ? Wan ? Wan ? Wan ? Wan ? Wan ? Wan ?

Ok, before tt, 2 pics of the workers @ cabling yest noon, though small...

WARNING: LONG ENTRY AHEAD!!!!


E rusty old cables tt looked like twicks... Think u can click n enlarge to see...


The foreman in his mini bull-dozer... He kept shouting and scolding the 2 poor workers... E left one is practically submerged, and he was on the verge on being drowned, as the rain started to fill up the long hols they dug...

Okok, enuff of tt...

CONGRATS TO MYSELF FOR DONATING MY BLOOD FOR THE 1ST TIME TODAY!!!

Funny thing was, Shuzhen was rejected and so only i donated... I will tok about it later and bring u thru e process...

I forced myself to eat breakfast and ended up wif a terrble stomachache... Then i met up wif her at Outram Mrt... Went over to HSA Building, jus opp the station... Health Sciences Authority.

And then i went to e toilet and i cant get anything out... (Coz i am not comfortable wif public toilets, so my body jus shuts down itself, even though i was in great pain)...

And then we practically didnt noe wat to do... We headed to Customer Service Counter and we were directed over to the registration counter... Next time, if u r going... Jus head straight to the registration counter and tell them u r donating whole blood, 1st time or not... If u haf an appointment, pls pls let them noe... We didnt tell them, so we ended waiting wif e rest...

There were alot of ppl, which was a great sign, though i doubt its enuff according to e articles... But i jus checked out the blood stock indicator and i am so glad the other 3 has gone up!!! Especially O!!!! Tts mine!!! But A has gone down... Oi! A PPL, mus donate also leh!!!

Like my sis lah, i told her A is enuff currently and so she said, "Ok, then i no need donate liao..." Anyways she cant coz her vein too small... She was scolded by e nurse coz of tt, and she didnt wan to go back anymore... And was told to exercise more...

So anyways, they will give u some forms n brochures and a cute little pen tt i kept... Fill up the form according, including ur weight... Its basically more of qns for the past 12 mths...

It would be better if u dun haf sex for 12 mths, otherwise i believed tt e Doc will prompt u more qns... Unless of coz if u r married, or u n ur gf/bf never had sex wif anyone else... No medicatin within e past 1 week as well, not even panadol... I read a lady was rejected due to panadol intake...

I also found out tis, which i do not noe... After a HIV infectn, it will take 1-3 mths before it can be detected, so if u haf casual sex regularly and even though tested tt u r not infected, u shd not donate, coz it doesnt mean u dun haf, and it will still pass thru ur donation..

Fill up e forms, put back on e trays at the registration, and wait for them to call ur name... Then when they do, give them ur IC for data entering... Coz it was my 1st time, they gave me a big sticker to paste on myself, stating, "This is my 1st time! Pls be nice to me!"... Lol, which is bloody funny...

Then wait again, and some lady will call ur name, then u go to a corridor, and wait for a empty Doc room... Then e Doc will ask u some qns to confirm, etc... He said many many things... But he was toking too fast i couldnt catch him... Coz it was a busy day, i think they are used to e speed... He did mentioned that it was a pity coz alot of patients died due to lack of blood or postpone of threatments.. Sobs...

Then u bring ur form n all tt, to a Blood Test counter, and put on e tray... An english speaking stranger man (donor too) guided me... He was so nice, i didnt even thank him, e whole thing was so chaotic... Then u wait again...

The 2 ladies will call ur name and then u sit there and get ur blood tested... Ur finger is pricked (more painful than my home prick tool, SHuzhen complained its very painful, but im kind of used to it, coz i check myself too... But it is more painful, so be prepared), and then she will squeeze ur finger like mad to fill up e whole tube (same experience during Pri 6 when they test for my blood type), and then she will dropped e blood into a beaker of blue solution to test for ur haemoglobin level...

I thought HB level is tested thru some device of meansurement, much like a glucose level indicator.. But no leh... I saw the blood turn into a donut in e beaker, and u see many more donuts at the bottom... Then i am ok... So i headed to e donation room wif my form, but it was full, so i waited outside...

And then it started... They started testing my vein... And said i got deep vein, (i knew coz doc n nurses told me be4), but they did find my vein though... Just tt, they left me on e bed for so long, i didnt noe y... Every now n then, some doc or head nurse, (no idea) came n check on me... I even witnessed a lady came after me, done n left...

They gave me so much time to think, and it was only me... I became more scared... Lol... Just get it over n done wif, i thot... I was wearing mini skirt, i shd wear jeans next time, coz a guy was looking at me across, even though i had blanket to cover later...

The duno indonesian or phillipino nurses gave me brouchures to read, and an orange ball, she said "A gift for u!"... But i couldnt understand her other english and she couldnt converse normally... They do not understand full english, only e basic ones, so i didnt ask her qns... I did ask one, but she dun understand, so i dropped it...

Then i saw Shuzhen (whos after me supposedly) left... I was like, i haven even started!

Then finally it started... SO SCARY... She swipped the iodine ( i assumed), slowly n very meticulously... And then came e long syringe of painkiller... She poked into my skin, it didnt hurt, but it hurt when she pulled it out, braising my inner skin... Yes, i was looking, i wan to noe wat they r doing...

Then e thing came, and she asked me to look other side if im scared... I didnt initially but turned back coz i wan to see... The tubes n bag was ready... Of coz, before tt, they will give u some intructions on wat to do wif e ball... And then e huge ass needle came...

I tell u arh, not pain is bluff ppl one... Its is not extremely painful, but tolerable...

The insertion was painful, but i didnt cringe... The lady beside me cringed like mad and told e doc or head nurse tt its very painful... She also said, "Ouch"... Now u noe how painful for kidney dialysis, coz the needle is many time bigger...

And then when e blood flows out, u can feel it... Its painful too... U can feel coming out of your body, like ur soul is being sucked out... But then, after awhile when e blood flow is constant, u feel nothing liao... Then when e blood bag is full, it will go TI TI TI TI TI TI TI, and then someone will remove e things for u.. And u press on the wound and rest awhile and they bandaged u wif a smiley face bandage...


I was supposed to let it remain for 4-6 hrs, but it came off about 1 hr plus later... I was at home and it came off... There were many colors too, purple, pink, yellow, etc... I got e ugliest color i thot, i dun like orange...

When i came out, i realised Shuzhen wasnt bandaged... We saw one old secondary classmate though he was rather unfriendly... Anyways, Shuzhen was rejected coz her vein was too small... They couldnt get it from her left hand and her right one was too small...

She was disappointed and said she went thru e pain for nothing (pricking of finger)... She also mentioned tt she thot tt she didnt wan to go anymore... I said, "Cannot! Mus think of the patients!"... Anyways, i told her she need not feel disappointed coz becoz of her, my O blood was donated... Otherwise, i wouldnt... My O can cover one of her B patients, i said...

Then i went for e free refreshments, i had warm soya bean milk and raspberry muffin...

Then i accompanied Shuzhen to get her moto phone (which still haf e prob, she gave up, and shes not going to get moto phones ever!), then i went home...


My bandage in full...


Jus alittle blood, i am O blood, so my blood is darker than e rest...


The things i got from them...


My next earliest donation date... 15 April 2006... Anyone wan to go wif me again?


My Bruise... It is said tt, if i use tis hand to carry heavy things, the bruise will enlarged...

I wanted to cook initially, then i realised i couldnt carry the groceries...

So i came home to cook maggie mee... Shuzhen said, "U donate blood liao eat maggie mee!", I then said, "If not then i eat wat?"... "Cook white porridge!" (SZ), "No condiments!" (Me), "Put soya sauce lor!" (SZ), "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (ME)...

I made a mistake... I bent down to take my dog's stuff... And when i got up, my head spun and i almost black out...

Then while i was cookin, i wanted to vomit, at the sight of food... And then i lost my feeling of my head, it went numbed... My eyes were clouded, i couldnt see... I thot to myself, "Oh shit", and i offed the stove n sat down, but it got worst, so i hurried to lay on my bed...

I thot i was going to die... Lol... Further more, nobody was at home... I knew i had to take in some food or sugar... But i couldnt get up... I then called SZ .. But while i was lying down, the fog started to clear, and i regained my senses... But i was slow in thinking and couldnt tok fast enuff...

At last, my mum was back, and i asked her to help me finish cooking my mee... She also bought me some sweet things coz she knew i will faint... lol... Coz i always seem to be on low blood n sugar...

I recovered and then ate and slept... Now i am good...

Forgot to mention, my arm hurts alittle alittle while i was on the way home, jus dun strain ur arm...

Lol, i hope it doesnt turn u off... I am not going to tell u its not painful, jus tt e pain is not too much a deal...

Like i said, not painful is bluff one, but its not painful like hell though... Jus abit numbing pain afterwards... Jus prepare urself for the pricking finger pain, (some said its more painful than e actual donation), and e insertion of e huge ass needle n a few minutes of pain there after...

Try to go to HSA, coz the staff there are extremely helpful, and friendly... Unlike other mobile donation drive (especially those at schs)...

Pls donate, u can save a life too...

No comments: